"Waiting hours for emergency help"

About: Gloucestershire Royal Hospital Gloucestershire Royal Hospital / Accident and emergency South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust / NHS 111

My 89 year old grandma fell about half 3 in the afternoon and broke her ankle as she has very little upper body strength I was unable to lift her and get her into a car also her foot would not allow any weight on it at all.

I rang 999 and as always they were very helpful and calming and promised an ambulance would be dispatched! So we waited and waited 3 hours go by and so I ring again and have to go through the same questions as before fine an ambulance is being sorted! ! 3 more hours go by so by now my elderly grandma had been left for 6 hours with a broken foot and no adequate pain relief! ! ! I rang again, same questions an ambulance will be on it's way! Not impressed! ! ! I asked if there was anything else we could do and how long we would have to wait they said they could not give me a time or any indication if there was even an ambulance on it's way.

At 11 o'clock in the evening a paramedic in a car arrived and was a massive help and really helped my grandma out! ! He stayed with us until an ambulance eventually appeared at 2 in the morning 11 hours after breaking her leg. she was eventually taken into hospital! ! ! No help and no advice for 8 hours! An elderly women or indeed anybody should not be kept waiting that long. It was ridiculous. Even the paramedic was trying to call in and he wasn't being told any info either.

Response from Gloucestershire Royal Hospital

Hi there,

So sorry to hear about your grandmother's experience. I'm afraid we are the providers of Gloucestershire Royal and Cheltenham General Hospital and we do not manage the ambulance service. If you live in Gloucestershire it is likely that you received an ambulance from the South Western Ambulance Service. To share feedback with them, please follow this link: http://www.swast.nhs.uk/get-in-touch.htm

Best wishes,

The team at Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Response from Sara Coburn, Patient Engagement Manager, Governance, South Western Ambulance Service Foundation Trust

Dear Gremlin2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback - I hope your Grandmother is recovering well.

I am sorry that your Grandmother experienced a delay in an ambulance attendance.

The detail you have provided here has been anonymised, so I am to locate the details of the 999 call and susequent ambulance attendance, so I cannot direct comment on the event.

However, we would welcome the opportunity to look into the care provided to you and your daughter; if you would like us to do this may I ask you to contact our Patient Experience Team on either swast.patientexperience@nhs.uk or 01392 261 585 and a member of the team will be able to provide information on the next steps.

Thank you, again, for taking the time to share your story with us.