"Above and beyond"

About: Torbay Hospital

I feel compelled to write about an extremely positive experience I had last week when I was taken to Newton Abbott Minor Injuries Unit, having broken my foot in an accident while on holiday in Devon.

The paramedic practitioner who I saw went above and beyond to ensure that my return to London the following day and subsequent necessary follow up at a fracture clinic was as painless and straightforward as possible. They spent considerable time making various phone calls to a London hospital on my behalf, to try to book an appointment for me, remaining undaunted by initial resistance to their attempts to refer me directly and therefore bypass the intermediary step of a referral from my GP

This extra effort was really appreciated, particularly as it saved me another layer of appointment-making and the trials of needing to get to yet another location in what has already been a hugely painful and inconvenient nightmare!

I was so impressed by the paramedics can-do attitude and general helpfulness which made a pretty rubbish day a lot rosier; for that I am hugely grateful and come away with continued faith in and support for our amazing NHS.

Response from Torbay Hospital

Dear Patient

Thank you for your kind comments.

We are really pleased that the care and treatment you received reached the high standards we constantly strive to achieve.

Patient Services