"Breast Unit changes"

About: Queen Elizabeth I I Hospital (Welwyn Garden City)

As a patient of the Vicki Adkins unit for the past 6 years I feel very sad at how little thought has been made in recreating the tranquil environment in the new unit.

It is by comparison very clinical and has none of the nice touches that made the old unit such a pleasant environment with it's little café, nice carpets and quiet rooms which made for such a calmer experience and it was easy to forget you were in a hospital.

I had my annual mammogram today and although I was treated with kindness and professionalism by the radiographer and the staff I left feeling very stressed at the general ambience of the place.

Response from Queen Elizabeth I I Hospital

Many thanks for getting in touch - our clinic teams had no say in the design of the New QEII and we agree that the new breast unit clinic, although better equipped and not houses in a temporary building, lacks some of the touches achieved with the old unit.

We'll pass your comments on to our colleagues at the East and North Hertfordshire Clinical Commissioning Group, who designed and commissioned the new hospital.

In the meantime, our staff will continue to do their best to make their patients welcomed and valued as did for you during your recent visit.