"My 2 year old left waiting with head wound"

About: Pilgrim Hospital

Firstly we called the ambulance after my son had fallen down the stairs and through a glass picture frame at the bottom he had cuts and a slice out of his eyebrow that was bleeding badly, the ambulance arrived quickly and helped a lot. Once we got to the hospital a team were waiting who asked my son questions then sent us to the play room to be left waiting for 2 hours before my sons wound was cleaned or glued, we were then taken to the children's ward were we waited further the incident happened at around 5pm and the wound was not cleaned and glued until 10pm which was an awful experience. He was pinned down to a bed screaming while blood poured over his face with the glue that only just missed his eye covering his forehead and eyebrow. I understand children are difficult to be kept still but he was terrified and we were not made to feel comfortable at all it was an awful experience. We were told to stay till midnight for further observations which we did but no one came to see him till we were told to go home and given a leaflet on head injuries no information on how to care for the wound once we were at home. I don't feel like he was treated as well as he could of been and not in the right manner for a scared 2 year old.

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Anonymous

Firstly please let me start by apologising for the experience that you had in A&E and on the children’s ward at Pilgrim. This is clearly nowhere near the experience that we want our children and families to experience and well below the standard that I would expect.

Whilst you have not given your name, I believe I am able to determine who your child was from the history you have given, and as such I have been able to review the notes and the care that was given.

I am very grateful that you have taken the opportunity to feedback about your negative experience. It has given me a chance to review the care we gave and identify areas where we should have done much better than we did. I have shared these findings with my own staff on the children’s ward and also with the A&E staff via their matron. I would like to apologise on behalf of both areas for not meeting your needs and expectations when you used our services.

If you would like to discuss your experience further, then please contact the United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on (01205) 446243 or email on pals@ulh.nhs.uk

Regards