"Parking nightmare"

About: Northern General Hospital

I arrived on Tuesday afternoon 12th april and tried to park at the hospital for an outpatient appointment. I was on my own and tried to park for an hour along with hundreds more people. It was total chaos. I ended up missing my appointment and losing a days work. I now have to take another day off to attend an appointment and am hoping the same wont happen again. Something needs to be done to ensure patients can park up and get to appointments, the reason we are there is because we are ill and public transport us not always suitable in this situation. Please come up with a better system.

Response from Deborah Hopkinson, Patient Experience Co-ordinator, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

The Sheffield Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust would like apologise that you found difficulties in finding a car parking space at the Northern General Hospital. We fully understand that as a result of the limited car parking spaces patients could be late or possibly miss appointments as happened in your own case.

The Trust would like to assure you that we are working continuously to ensure that there is sufficient car parking capacity at the Northern General Hospital site. We have just began work to review our car parking capacity and hope to be able to provide additional spaces in the future. This work is in its early stages and will involve us acquiring the appropriate approvals for any developments on our site including the provision of additional car parking spaces.

We do recommend that patient/visitors allow plenty of time (around 60 minutes) to park and to get to the clinic or ward.

Information about care parking can be found by clicking the following link