"Lack of communication skills of NHS staff"

About: Rotherham Hospital

I have just returned home from an appointment with a doctor in rheumatology who had no communication skills what so ever.

They obviously had not read my medical records before hand so why do they need to access these.

They asked me to tell them about my symptoms from the beginning, then started to ask questions about events and symptoms using my medical records as reference, but these were out of context with what I was telling them. They then got snappy when I tried to put them into context in the timeline so I had to stop them by saying that they were confusing matters; and that I could either answer their current question or tell them from the beginning.

At the end of a difficult consultation for me they gave me a request form for blood tests and ushered me out.

I was not given an opportunity to discuss what they were testing me for or possible treatments.

I then asked the Phlebotomist to explain the tests and they told me they only take the blood nothing else.

I then asked two nurses who were no more helpful.

Even Vets discuss possible conditions and what they are testing your pet for!

I have already made a complaint but will just expect excuses.

There is no excuse for not talking to a patient - we are not dumb animals.

Someone should be on hand in such clinics to at least explain tests and possible outcomes.

Response from Kerry Hollingworth, Corporate Affairs Officer, The Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust

Hello my name is Bev Nicholas, Matron for Surgery and Rheumatology at The Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust. I am sorry to hear of your concerns regarding your recent Rheumatology appointment and in particular that you felt that communication was poor and that you wish to go elsewhere for treatment. I note that you have submitted your concerns in the form of a complaint and hope that these are resolved to your satisfaction. However please feel free to contact me on 01709 428271 should you require any further assistance.