"Being marked as DNA at Rheumatology clinic appointment"

About: Lincoln County Hospital / Rheumatology

I recently attended a Rheumatology appointment. I arrived at 10 minutes early for my appointment. I saw the receptionist and handed my appointment letter.

Whilst waiting in the reception area, I spoke to a lady who had been there an hour and a half. Concerned, I asked why? and she replied that the receptionist had marked her "DNA". I told her that a similar thing had happened to me on a previous occasion.

At my last Rheumatology appointment I was kept waiting for over an hour. When I checked with reception, the receptionist said they were waiting for my notes. Eventually when I went in to see the nurse, she said that I had been marked down DNA! The nurse said she had seen a number of patients after my due appointment because she thought I hadn't turned up.

Having spoken to this other patient yesterday, it seems it is happening quite frequently. After waiting half an hour yesterday, I asked the receptionist how long I would be waiting. I thought the receptionist was quite rude and said that they would "take me down and show me where my file was in the pile". I then went and spoke to the nurse and she said luckily I was her next patient. I was worried that I had been marked DNA again.

Response from Sharon Kidd, Patient Experience and Engagement Manager, Patient Experience, United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Holly Bear

Dear Anon

I would like to start by firstly apologising to you that we have not responded to your story, our aim is to respond to all stories within 48 hour and clearly we have failed on this occasion.

I am sorry to learn that you have encountered issues in the rheumatology clinic by being marked down as a DNA previously. We clearly need to investigate what happened when you arrived and also see why other patients have encountered the same issues. I have spoken to the rheumatology department and they will be looking into their processes when patients check in to clinic. They have asked if you could please contact me directly- Sharon.kidd@ulh.nhs.uk or 07799 868206 with either your date of birth or NHS number and I can then personally forward your details to rheumatology department so they can look into the potential issues and respond directly to you.

If they are able to identify a process error following your story then it will benefit future patients

Look forward to speaking to you soon.

Regards

Sharon Kidd, Patient Experience Manager

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust We have made a change

Dear Holly Bear,

I am really very sorry that you have not had a good experience within the Rheumatology department. It is being looked into as to why you were marked down as a DNA.

I have ensured for the future the nursing team are not to rely on the fact that patients have been marked as arrived in clinic in case this has not happened and to call patients from our list in order to ensure no-one is left waiting or marked as a DNA in error.

Thank you for highlighting this to us and I hope you accept my sincere apologies that this happened, we will endeavour to make sure this does not reoccur.

Charlotte Wright,