"My husband needs a 5 graft bypass and is very sick"

About: University Hospital Of Wales / Cardiology

My husband had a heart attack 3 weeks ago. He was admitted to the Royal Glam hospital where he was stabilised. That was a Saturday.

He was told he would be moved to the UHW on the Monday for an angiogram. Well Monday came and went, and so did another 12 days before he was transferred. He had the angiogram and told he needs a 5 graft bypass, I think it a quintruple.

He was moved from ward C3 to another ward and within a few hours had more chest pain and had to be moved back. He was then told by the doctor that was where he would stay in bed until the op. Also told that if he has more pain they would fit a temporary mechanical device that would do the job of the heart until the op.

There is still no date for the op up to today. The staff have been amazing, but I feel he is a ticking time bomb and he needs it now. He is 69, not a smoker, not a drinker, always keeps himself fit and a healthy eater. This was heredity.

I just need to know when he will have it done. Please UHW sort something out soon. I do wander if we had phoned 999 and gone in that way, would he have had it done right away?

Response from Cardiff and Vale University Health Board

We can only apologise regarding the delay of transfer from the Royal Glamorgan Hospital. This is not the expected transfer time. We are in close communication with the District General Hospitals on a daily basis. At the time there were significant pressure for beds, we had increased emergency PPCI (Primary Percutaneous Coronary Intervention) activity and an increased number of medical outliers, which restricted the ability to provide the expected pathway. We are working closely with the Cardiac Network to look at ways to improve the pathway.

• mrsmrb thinks this response is helpful

Update posted by mrsmrb (a relative)

Thank you to the sister of ward C3 who contacted me within an hour of my post. My husband's op is tomorrow morning. Thank you to all the brilliant staff that have taken such good care of my husband. I look forward to his recover, and many more years together.