"Visit to A and E to treat a simple cut"

About: Grantham & District Hospital / Accident and emergency

Went to Grantham A&E as a walk-in patient, after accidentally cutting my thumb on a broken plant pot whilst gardening. The cut was quite large and deep, so I needed some stitches and a tetanus jab. Although the department was not very busy, I still ended up being in there for nearly 4 hours. Triage nurse did not seem to have the knowledge of how to deal with such a simple cut. Consultant referred me for an X-ray to see if there was anything in the cut (didn't even try to look to see into it! ). Radiographer confirmed what I thought: that dirt would not show up in an X-ray, so I didn't have the X-ray. Finally, I saw a nurse who put on 3 steri-strips and gave me the tetanus jab! A complete waste of NHS resources: if the triage nurse had delivered what I had asked for, all would have been completed without any need for a deficient consultant, and wasting the time of the radiographer.

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear cg70,

I am very sorry to hear about your experience in A&E.

It would be helpful to have the date and time of when you were in A&E so that we could follow up on the issues you have raised and ensure a better patient journey in the future.

If you would be prepared to e-mail your details to our PALS team, at pals@ulh.nhs.uk, marked for my attention, I can properly review your episode of care with the team members involved.

Mandy Charles