"A visit to A&E"

About: East Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Trust / Emergency ambulance Lincoln County Hospital / Accident and emergency

The ambulance service is excellent.

I was appalled with the waiting times and even more so, that the ambulance crews had to wait in the department for several hours, spending 2 hrs waiting to be seen would not be an efficient service but 6 hrs waiting from booking in is unacceptable and a very poor service, for people whom are genuinely in need.

I do not believe that the care, provided was adequate, provided dignity, respect or equality, and was without compassion to a lady who is 81yrs of age.

In my opinion people who abuse the system of Accident and emergency have no business accessing the service and need to use drop in care centres.

Response from Rebekah Marong, Communications & Engagement Support Officer, Communications and Engagement, East Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Trust

Dear Jenjenny,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind words about our crew with us.

If you are able, we would appreciate you sharing your comments with our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) team, with as much detail as you can (e.g. date, time and location), so that they might identify the crew that cared for your relative that day and share your words with them. You may contact the team via telephone on 0333 012 4216 or email PALS.Office@emas.nhs.uk.

Best wishes,

Rebekah Marong

Communications and Engagement Support Officer

• Jenjenny thinks this response is helpful

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Jenjenny

I am sorry that you have had cause to raise concerns about the wait your elderly mother endured on a recent visit to A&E. I must apologise to both your mother and yourself.

The team in A&E would not ever wish to keep people waiting as we do, the problem we face is our rooms and cubicles are often full with patients who are waiting for an admission bed in the hospital, something which is outside the control of my team. We do have to prioritise the critically ill and those needing the Resuscitation Room and liaise closely with the ambulance crews on arrival to ensure these patients are identified.

We realise that the delays do affect patient dignity but I would like to reassure you that the A&E medical and nursing team are in constant contact with the Site Managers and Bed management team trying to expedite delays for beds to rectify this. We also keep the Site Manager updated with the number of ambulances waiting in the department.

We are also able to refer patients to the local Walk in Centre if they do not meet the criteria for requiring A&E based care; these patients are unlikely to impact on the delay for a room or a trolley as they can be seen in the Minors area within A&E.

Should you wish me to investigate a lack of care and compassion, shown by individual members of the team, towards your mother, I will need you to provide your mother’s details, these can be e-mailed to the PALS team (pals@ulh.nhs.uk) for my attention.

Regards

Karen Hansord – A&E Sister

• Jenjenny doesn't think this response is helpful
    {{helpful}} of {{totalOthers()}} other people think it is helpful