"Pre Assessment Pilgrim Hospital"

About: Pilgrim Hospital / General surgery

I attended Pre Assessment two weeks prior my operation. I went to the Boston Pilgrim Hospital clinic. A nurse, whilst doing my blood pressure, after measured my neck. Then mentioned do I ever stop breathing whilst I sleep at night as I have a rather large neck. I was deeply upset and emotional after this appointment. I have had children and this is my baby weight. I have put on little bit of weight but I wouldn't say I was large enough for this comment to be made.

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Coz,

I would like to apologise for any upset caused when you were questioned about your sleep quality and for comments made relating to your neck size.

It should have been explained to you that the questions you were asked and neck measurement form part of a risk assessment for identifying the likelihood of having a condition called obstructive sleep apnoea.

It is important that we screen for this condition at pre-assessment as people with this complaint are at increased risk of perioperative complications.

I’ve shared your story with my team, it has highlighted the fact that we need to be mindful about not making comments that could be interpreted as derogatory when we are carrying out this risk assessment.

Regards,