"What an amazing nurse in an amazing service!"

About: Mansfield & Ashfield / Continence advisory service (north)

Following the need to have 50% of my colon removed as the first stage of treatment for cancer, I have had quite life-altering issues with managing bowel habits-without too many details. I can say I was governed by the need for extreme urgency for a loo and sometimes suffered accidents.

I asked GP for more help on several occasions, but was told it was inevitable and I had to live with it, which was rather depressing.

After some advice from a cancer helpline I learned about the continence clinic, where I was able to self refer. I was given an assessment within about 1 week and soon started work with an amazing nurse, Julie.

I am seen at my local hospital (Kings Mill, Sutton in Ashfield, Notts) which is very convenient. It has taken some months -, but yesterday I felt confident to be discharged-at a time I felt ready and never any sense that I had 'overstayed my welcome!  I was made to feel so comfortable discussing such sensitive issues, given loads of information about practical, medication and dietary procedures that could help. I could discuss the psychological issues. I could talk in non-medical language and this helped me to try and let go of the cancer issue and work on thinking of a positive way to manage my lifestyle.

Through guidance from Julie, with food elimination I have found trigger foods that were exacerbating my problem. What an amazing nurse in an amazing service! a real advert for nurse-led services where appropriate.

Response from Keeley Sheldon, General Manager for Mansfield and Ashfield, Community, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

It was lovely to hear about the compassionate and caring nursing care delivered by the continence service.

Thank you for taking time to provide us with this feedback. I will ensure the feedback is fed back to the team, especially Julie.

Kind Regards