"Problems finding Ambulatory Care"

About: Tameside General Hospital / Older people's healthcare

(as a staff member posting for a carer/relative),

This story has been posted by Healthwatch Tameside on behalf of a member of the public. We have their details and will forward any comments to them. They said…

My Mum was taken to A&E in an ambulance on Easter Saturday, and my brother went with her. She ended up eventually in ambulatory care. From there she was discharged with a time to come back in at 5pm on Easter Sunday.

I took her back up to the hospital on the Sunday. My brother had written down the time she had to be there and the phone number for the ward. I arrived in reception at Hartshead but there were no staff/receptionists on the desks, and the electronic booking in machine didn't have any record of her appointment.

We then wandered round trying to find ambulatory care. We rang the ward for directions but the phone wasn't answered. Eventually we found a member of staff who wasn't entirely sure where it was but directed us upstairs. We searched upstairs and eventually found a small notice stuck on the door of the AMU unit.

If there aren't going to be staff on at reception, there at least needs to be better sign-age to the ambulatory care. When we did get there, all the staff were lovely and very helpful!

Response from Tameside and Glossop Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for taking the time to post these comments.

We are sorry you found it difficult to find the Ambulatory Care Unit. The process for a Bank Holiday should have been explained to you in more detail.

We have passed these comments onto the Ambulatory Care Unit so this doesn’t happen again.

Response from Julie Beech, Healthwatch Administrator, Healthwatch Tameside

This story was posted by Healthwatch Tameside on behalf of a member of the public. We forwarded the above response to them.

They said they would be interested to hear whether there would be any visible changes, such as additional signage.