"Long term gynae care"

About: Aberdeen Royal Infirmary / Gynaecology Services

I have had long term gynaecological problems since I was really quite young. I started attending semi regular out patient appointments at age 17. At age 20 (2011) I had a relatively major operation with positive life changing results for me. In 2013 I again had another planned procedure under the care of the gynaecology team. In between those dates, and before and after both procedures I have had dozens of out patient appointments and at least one emergency admission.

I have never found fault with the gynaecologists who have treated me from 2011 onwards. The consultants who run the hospital service and the outpatient clinics (Woman's Day Service and at the health village) are nothing short of remarkable. The doctor that operated on me in 2011, taking on quite a challenge, changed my life for the better and I cannot thank her and her team enough. I see that she has since become a professor which does not surprise me.

The doctors and nurses that work for the department and for the ward are kind, compassionate, sensitive and gentle when they've cared for me. In fact, I vividly remember one consultant, who when I had a spinal anaesthetic placed, crouched on the floor so I could see her and spoke to me the entire time. What she talked about I don't remember but I was so comforted by her.

I'd love the whole team to know what an absolutely fantastic bunch they are (I work for the nhs and the feedback we've had here makes our day, I'd love to share some of my own! ).

Thank you ever so much, from a very grateful patient! !

Response from Linda Oldroyd, Nurse Consultant Patient Safety and Experience, NHS Grampian

Dear aha

Many thanks for taking the time to post you feedback. Your story is inspiring and will undoubtedly reassure anyone one who has to go through a similar journey of care. Our staff will be delighted to hear about the difference they have made to your life.

Your story also demonstrated very dearly what matters to patients and that the “how” care is delivered is just as the important as the “what “care is delivered.

I will make sure this story is highlighted to all the staff concerned. Many many thanks again and good luck for the future. We are very grateful to receive this feedback.

Kind regards,