"Closing of Temple Clinic United Reformed Church"

About: Bromley Healthcare / Health visiting

To whom it may concern,

I would like to express my disapproval towards the closing of the day clinic near my house. I have a newborn, and this clinic is a couple of blocks away from my house. I have found it very helpful, as it gives me the chance to follow up on the growth of my little one as well as, sitting down with a midwife to speak about challenges or express concerns.

This closure means I will now need to go to another clinic, which is not in my area, and since I do not have a car, that means I will now need to take public transport. It also means that everyone in the area will need to go to this clinic, so what used to take half an hour of my day, may now take at least 3 hours. As I will now take at least 20 minutes by bus (each way), plus waiting time at the clinic, plus the time I actually speak with someone.

I understand you also have "helplines", but they seem to be understaffed for the demand, and to be honest, I found it`s easier to explain in person.

Response from Amanda Mayo, Head of Nursing, Quality Team, Bromley Healthcare

Thank you for your posting 'Marale'.

In order for me to respond to your query I need to speak to the Health Visiting Lead in Bromley Healthcare to find out a bit more. I will return to your posting when I have some more information

• marale doesn't think this response is helpful
    {{helpful}} of {{totalOthers()}} other people think it is helpful

Response from Amanda Mayo, Head of Nursing, Quality Team, Bromley Healthcare

I now have a deeper understanding of this issue and would like to offer some explanation.

It is highly likely that in future Health Visitors will only be commissioned by the Local Authority to undertake safeguarding work and the five mandated contacts. These contacts are an antenatal visit, a new birth visit, a 6 week maternal mood assessment and 1 and 2 year development review.

Due to this we are reviewing how we provide our valued health visiting service. Space in the children and family centres is provided and we are continuing to offer services from all the centres; the added benefit being that clients can be signposted to other activities and groups within the centres.

Bromley Healthcare will be updating our website with the full list of clinics across Bromley which anyone can attend. There will be 10 clinics a week spread across Monday to Friday in different locations.

Clients will also be able to contact their named Health Visitor directly for advice and all the teams have their own systems for picking up and responding to messages.

I am sorry that this is not the reply you wanted however I am sure you are aware of cuts to all public services nationally.

if you require support urgently please also feel free to contact your GP or Health Visitor as normal