"Too Many Questions at the urology clinic"

About: Vale of Leven General Hospital / Urology

I attended the Urology Clinic at the Vale of Leven hospital for a routine check up. Firstly I was rushed into giving a urine sample (which I could not do) then the staff called my name and their attitude was to be desired and after I was scanned they gave me a row for my bladder being full and not bringing my self catheters (which I was not told to bring with me ).

I thought you are supposed to be feeling at ease in hospital but this left me feeling upset when I left this department that I feel I wouldn't want to come back for a return appointment

Dear waterloo,

There are a couple of points here which are important to highlight:

First is the lack of proper information about what you should expect at your appointment, including things like what you might need to do (for example, the urine sample) or bring (your self catheters). Better communication prior to your appointment would have left you feeling better prepared and would have made the whole appointment go much more smoothly. We try to ensure that the information we send out is as clear and helpful as possible, so we need to look at what happened on this occasion where that wasn't the case.

The second point is about how you were left feeling at the end of your appointment: you are right when you say that you are supposed to feel at ease while in hospital. I am really sorry this was not the case on your last visit, and that you were left feeling upset. Staff are always expected to treat patients with respect, and it is extremely important that we bare in mind that while we are used to hospitals, even routine appointments can be daunting or stressful for patients and so it is really important that each person is treated with consideration and kindness. I will certainly pass on your comments to the service so this can be highlighted to the staff.

I hope that this is a one off for you, and that your future appointments are much more positive. I would appreciate you keeping in touch to let me know how your future appointments go, whether you have seen improvement or not.

Best Wishes,

• waterloo thinks this response is helpful