"Unacceptable waiting time in blood taking dept."

About: Hospital Of St Cross (Rugby)

My partner visited the above unit on 30 4 2016 for a blood test

After waiting 15 mins in a queue tonget to the reception desk she was told that there was a waiting time of about an hour. The waiting room was packed with no chairs available and many people standing including elderly patients.

The small waiting area needs to be addressed, as does the issue of not enough chairs for elderly and infirm patients . I

I fully appreciate that our health service is under enormous pressure, but surely more chairs can be provided in the waiting area . My partner was unable to stand for that length of time so had nomoption but to leave, as did 2 other patients ahead of her.

Response from Hospital Of St Cross

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback on your partner’s experience in the Friends Blood Taking Unit at the Hospital of St Cross in April 2016.

I was very sorry to hear about your concerns, and I apologise for the delays which your partner faced earlier this month in the new unit.

I would also like to apologise that there was not sufficient seating available at this time.

I have passed on your comments to the team at the Friends Blood Taking Unit.

Since the new unit opened in December 2015, there have been very high levels of demand.

However, the average waiting time for patients to be seen is currently less than 20 minutes, and so I would like to reassure both yourself and your partner that the waits which she experienced on this day are not typical for the unit.

I am also pleased to confirm that a new appointments system for blood taking is due to be introduced in the coming months.

This is expected to further reduce waiting times, and should also help ensure that there is more space and seating available for patients while they wait to be seen.

If you or your partner would like to discuss any aspects of her care further, then please contact the Trust’s Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 0800 028 4203.

If you would prefer to contact us by e-mail, our address is feedback@uhcw.nhs.uk

Alternatively, you can write to us at the following address: -

University Hospital,

Clifford Bridge Road,

If you do decide to contact us, please make us aware that you have left comments on the NHS Choices website.

The Trust is grateful for all feedback, positive or negative, as it means we can better understand what is important to our patients.

Thank you for leaving your comments on NHS Choices.

Communications Team