"Social Inclusion and Wellbeing Service"

About: Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust / Adult Mental Health Services - Community (County)

(as a volunteer/advocate),

The Social Inclusion and Wellbeing Service has helped me with just getting out and travelling on public transport myself. I have been travelling about with them, then going to a social club, then volunteering. Getting to know about myself and working together.

I had epilepsy, was born with shy trouble. As a child, I had leukemia and had to have a lot of treatment. Then I started having fits. I was on medications. I used to have a few feelings in my head, and dizziness. I used to be a bit on edge with nervousness. My medications lead to me feeling suicidal. It all knocked my confidence. I have had an operation and no longer have fits.

I was referred by my psychiatrist to the Social Inclusion and Wellbeing Service. Julie and Sangita came along and helped me get out and about. I joined a local social group. Then I started volunteering at Larkhill, a retirement complex. I am tidying the kitchen and washing up. I find that I am doing better than some of the others.

It has got me on my feet. I can go out shopping, mainly with my Mum. I am hoping to do more on my own. It is a slow job. The service has been good. I realise that other people have disabilities. You have to push yourself.

Response from Julie Swann, Team Leader, Social Inclusion and Well-being Service, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear Colin2,

Thank you for sharing your experience of the Social Inclusion and Well Being Team and that the team has been able to support you in a positive way. One of the teams aims is to help people access opportunities, to achieve thier goals.

I will pass on your comments to Sangita and Julie.I hope you continue with your volunteering and getting out and about

Kind Regards