"Friendly, kind staff member"

About: Aberdeen Royal Infirmary

I wanted to let you know how appreciated I am of your kind staff. My mother in law had been in hospital for sometime and has now sadly passed away. I was having terrible day and was upset trying to manage my two 4 year old twin boys ( one of whom has autism) plus two bags of mums belongings. A very kind girl was getting her lunch and recognised I needed help at the main concourse. I got her name but I am not sure where she works she was not in a uniform but was dressed very smart, she might be a manager. Her name was Heather. Heather escorted me to the ward and my boys took her hand and walked with her. She manage to organise a drink for both the boys when we got to the ward. My son mentioned the nice lady today and this reminded me I must let you know. These small tokens of kindness make such a difference.

Response from Linda Oldroyd, Nurse Consultant Patient Safety and Experience, NHS Grampian

Dear Stressed mum

I hope you are having a better day today!

Firstly let me pass on my condolences for the loss of your mother-in-law. It is always sad and difficult when a loved one leaves us no matter what the circumstances.

You are absolutely right that it is the little things that can really make a difference to our lives and Heather’s kindness clearly made a difference to you and your boys.

It is quite remarkable in an organization our size that I had an immediate thought about who “Heather” might be and I can tell you that it was Heather Tennant who is our Programme Manager, for the Carer Information Strategy strand of work. Heather is well known for her random acts of human kindness.

Heather wanted me to say that a student nurse in the ward was also very kind and helpful with your situation.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. I think that when people read what a difference a small act of kindness can make they will be inspired to follow suit. It is not always hard to make a difference and to make someone feel better and I am glad that one of staff was able to make you feel better.

Kindest regards,