"Endoscopy Unit"

About: Grantham & District Hospital / Gastroenterology

I went in for my Gastroscopy recently. I went into a room that had several beds and I sat on one whilst the nurse put the cannula into my arm ready for the sedative to be administered.

I was sitting directly opposite the procedure room and could see the endoscopy tube, which in itself isn't really something you want to be looking at. Then the doors were closed and obviously a patient was in there. The noise was horrendous. I could hear the patient gagging very loudly it sounded like they were being murdered. It was very frightening and I could not believe that we had to sit so close to this room to be able to hear everything that was going on.

Needless to say I didn't go through with the procedure and the Nurse fully supported me saying we should not have to listen to that. They say they have no other rooms for the beds but I went into a big empty room just to have my blood pressure taken and answer some questions. I think this room would have been more suitable for waiting patients, but that will be a question I will need to ask.

If I have this procedure done It will not be at Grantham Hospital!

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Capricorn,

I would like to thank you for giving us feedback on your recent experience in Endoscopy at Grantham and for talking to me on the telephone about this.

Once again please accept our apologise for the situation you found yourself in and for the distress this caused you. We understand that undergoing any procedure is always worrying and the importance that is placed on ensuring the visits to the hospital are as stress free as possible.

I would like to confirm that Endoscopy in Grantham is known to the Trust to need a refurbishment to ensure that we comply with the standards required and that is planned to begin this year.

Whilst unfortunately there is no easy quick fix due to the limitations on space and the volume of usage, staff have been reminded to be mindful of privacy and dignity issues at all times.

Once again please accept our apologies and I hope that any future visits to the Trust are less stressful for you.

Matron – Diagnostics