"Trying to get a follow up appointment in gastroenterology"

About: University College Hospital / Gastroenterology

I'm a new patient and was refered to have a gastroscopy.

After the procedure, I was given an aftercare letter with instuctions to go to the appointments department to book a routine follow up appointment (6-8 week wait) by the receptionist.

The receptionist looked on his computerised apponitments schedule and said the particular appointment was fully booked, he then faxed the aftercare letter to a bookings department and told me I should receive an apointment letter within 3- 4 days.

It has been over two weeks and I have received nothing, I have no idea what my gastroscopy diagnosis is and I'm worried sick. I telephoned gastroentrology department reception today and was told nothing had been booked.

I'm very disappointed and was told to get in touch with one of the consultants' secretary to get an early appointment as the receptionist can only give give me an appointment 3 months from today.

Response from Chris Dann, Assistant General Manager Gastrointestinal Services Division, Gastroenterology Department, UCH

I am sorry to learn of the difficulties that you are having. We are in the process of changing our administration processes in Endoscopy and the booking of Outpatient appointments post procedure is a priority. We are about to launch a new guide, detailing additional clinics that can be used, as well as a contact list for the Receptionist to use at the time of discharge, so appointments can be arranged before leaving the hospital.

With regards to your issue, please email me on chris.dann@uclh.nhs.uk or call me on 0207 380 9749 and we will get your Outpatient appointment sorted out straight away.