"Excellent care in busy ward"

About: Hairmyres Hospital / General Medicine

I was admitted to Ward 2 (acute medical receiving) via A&E after developing complications following surgery. Although I was only in the ward for a couple of days, I was very impressed with the high quality of care - despite this being such a busy unit, with admissions day and night. Staff were professional, pleasant, and helpful, though it was very obvious that their workload was high with some very unwell patients to look after. Clinical observations happened when they were supposed to, as did medicine rounds. The consultants came round twice a day.

The ward used to have visiting times twice a day and, although the NHS Lanarkshire website still shows this, a note on the door of the ward explains that visiting is now only 7-8pm because afternoon visiting was getting in the way of patient treatment and care - so an understandable decision to limit visiting. Despite this, relatives of some patients did have dispensation to come and go with less restriction.

Having just had surgery in Glasgow, I would also say that the food in Hairmyres is so much nicer! When I didn't like any of the main dishes, I was able to order a sandwich - delicious!

It's too easy to criticise our NHS and so it's nice to offer praise when quality of treatment and care is just as you would want it to be.

Response from Lise Axford, Senior Nurse, Emergency Medicine, Hairmyres Hospital

Dear Jagsman1876

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during your recent admission. I am pleased to hear that you felt staff were both professional and pleasant in this busy area. The nursing team are working hard to ensure that medicine rounds and clinical observations are performed at appropriate times.

The changes to ward visiting are indeed very recent and have been bought in to address patient care needs. I apologise that the website is not up to date and will ensure this is promptly addressed. It is always important to receive feedback and I am reassured that you understand why these changes have been introduced.

I will share your comments with the ward 2 team. I hope you are recovering well.

Best wishes