"Children's a&e"

About: Royal Albert Edward Infirmary

I attended A&E on new years eve with my baby boy. He had a red spotty rash, was hysterical and had a temp. It was almost midnight and on arrival was told by reception to go to the children's department. As we walked in we were spoken to rudely and questioned 'who's told you to come here?' I said to the person I'm worried about my son no one has told me to come here. My gp told me if I'm ever worried just take him to hospital. And being an a staff nurse my self felt it was the right thing to do. Reluctantly we were assessed.

Luckily it turned out that my son had a virus but he had never been so poorly. If I spoke to my patients that way I would be doing a pretty poor job. There are people who attend the hospital which I aren't necessary and I understand that but I would never risk my child's health. The person in question was abrupt and rude and made us feel stupid.

Not good enough.

Response from Susan Heighway, Patient Relations / PALS Manager , Patient Relations / PALS, Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh NHS Foundation Trust

We are sory to learn of your poor experince within the Paedicatric A&E Department, it is not something that we would wish to hear when familes attend with their poorly children. I have passed this posting to the Head of Nursing and Clinical Director for Paediatrics for their review.

As a Trust we are always happy to investigate any concerns that our patients, relatives and carers have. If you wish to contact the Patient Relations Department on 01942 822376 we would be happy to investigate this on a more formal level.