"Disgraceful treatment in AMU"

About: East Surrey Hospital / General surgery

(as a staff member posting for a carer/relative),

I was admitted due to grand mal fit and breathing problems.

I awoke in the AM U Dept some 18hrs after the incident.

I was given a nebuliser that had no affect. I was coughing a greenish tai up and breathing problems. Approx 9am I must of had another fit, as when I again awoke the curtains were drawn around me and I was alone.

I have a history of fits and last October 2015 I spent 2 periods on a respirator, the longest being 10 days or so and actually had a respiratory arrest before the ambulance 🚑 arrived, and my GP carried out s. I feel that East Surrey Hospital 🏥 ignored this.

I have major heart problems, and serious PVD. I have had mini strokes. I am registered partially sighted due to above. I had both legs amputated. I also suffer COPD. I am in constant pain and take controlled drugs for this.

Whilst in the AMU, I felt that the nurses were condescending. One wore heavy make-up and her perfume was so strong it affected my breathing. I asked for a commode and waited an hour, but it was too late, so I was left in for twenty minutes.

In my time there I never saw a doctor and despite my daily drug chart being available, I was given no medication. I discharged myself called my own GP, who within six hours had my health improving. What a disgrace!

Response from Joanne Rhodes, Deputy Chief Pharmacist, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear TJS

I am sorry to hear about your experience at East Surrey Hospital. Please e-mail your name and contact details to me (joanne.rhodes@sash.nhs.uk) so I can look in to what has happened.

Joanne

Response from Nicola Shopland, Divisional Chief Nurse for Medicine, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear TJS

Thank you for your feedabck, it sounds as though you had a very difficult time on AMU. I am really happy to discuss your case with you so that I can undertsand what we could have done differently and ensure the team are aware of what you expereicned.

Please contact me on nicola.shopland@sash.nhs.uk.

kind regards