"Dermatology appointment was disappointing"

About: Pilgrim Hospital / Dermatology

(as a staff member posting for a carer/relative),

Today I escorted my Grandfather to a Dermatology appointment as I have done previously, however this one had been made urgently rather than a routine checkup due to changes. Unfortunately despite board stating the clinics were running on time we were just short of an hour for our appointment, with plenty of people checking I'm after us and being seen before ourselves. During this time the 'waiting area' in Dermatology fill up, calling it a waiting area I'd being generous the five chairs filled very quickly and there was no other options for elderly, preganant women or others who required seats to have but stand, of course no one would complain because we understand the pressure on the NHS as it is. As an observation whilst waiting I noticed numerous HCSA and Deputy Sisters muttering and moaning, aswell as pulling faces, (it's hard to miss when they do this directly infront of the 'waiting area') I understand they were busy and things were running behind but this is unprofessional....but to add this the office door situated in the same area was wide open and patients names were said out loud and mutterings and chunterings still ongoing again unprofessional but also disrespectful and inappropriate. When we finally made the appointment, The Dermatologist, (A new one from previous appointments -they had been welcoming and friendly) greeted us, it seemed to us that they had not read the notes, despite at one point saying parts were missing, the situation was explained numerous times and yet they still did not seem to listen. In the consultation they stated the side effects of medication should of been explained previously - they were not...they also used the business of the area as an excuse...again this is not an excuse but poor practice.The doctor also changed their mind regarding a clinical examination stating as it was an urgent appointment and wasn't routine this wasn't required...despite previously stating it was, (Slightly contraindicating ) but AGAIN used the excuse that they were an hour behind in clinic...at this point I expressed my concerns and stated that was not an excuse in a polite manner...I'm sure you can now build up a picture the day. I support out NHS and overall ULHT but I found these all effected the patients experience and the lack of professionalism and poor communication overall to be extremely disappointing...I hope the staff working this shift realise the impact they have and are able to reflect and alter themselves so not to affect other patients experience.

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Disappointedserviceuser,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on the Patient Opinion website.

As a department we are fully committed to improving patient experience and we are very sorry that your experience in the Dermatology department on this occasion fell below the standard that we expect.

Please be assured that as a department, we are currently looking at causes of delays, and measures we can take to improve this.

We are also looking at the dermatology department environment as a whole, and in particular, the waiting area around the nurses office.

We fully take on board the comments you have made, and I will be discussing this with all staff that work within the unit.

If you would like to discuss this further, please contact me on 01205 446454 or make contact via the PALS office on 01205 446243.

Best Wishes,