"Rude Receptionist at the Sexual Health Clinic"

Having moved into Portsmouth I was recommended by a friend who is a nurse to use the Sexual Health Clinic at St Mary's for contraception and smear tests.

Before I even opened my mouth, the receptionist said "We're busy. Go to your GP." - I was actually quite stunned! I politely explained that I hadn't yet registered with a GP and needed contraception as I had ran out of pills and was recommended by my friend who is a nurse, to which the receptionist rudely repeated themselves in a condescending tone. The receptionist then said "We no longer do contraception." - I have no idea if this is even true or they were trying to get rid of me?!

For anyone like me who suffers from anxiety, this was a very upsetting way to be spoken to when you're already feeling quite nervous. I understand staff are stretched and under pressure but being polite doesn't take much!

Response from Ann Rice, Head of Patient Insight & Professional Leadership, Solent NHS Trust

We are sorry to hear of your recent experience within the service and would like the opportunity to discuss this further with you.

To clarify, we do offer contraception, however in Portsmouth if patients are well controlled on their chosen method of either pills or injection they are advised to continue with their GP. This process is managed by the clinician when the patient is seen and not from the receptionist (even if we have reached capacity). If a patient is attending a wait to be seen clinic and capacity has been reached for that session, patients are offered to fill out a form and wait to be assessed by the Nurse in charge who will assess the need, at this point they may be advised to return at another time to see a clinician or will signpost to a GP for example.

We hope you will contact us so that we can discuss your experience directly with you. If you would like us to do so, please contact us via our PALS team by phone on 0800 013 2319 or email snhs.schpateintfeedback@nhs.net