"21st century"

About: East Surrey Hospital

Spent an arduous day and much of the night in A&E today with a close friend (question-why is there no ‘A&E dept in your dept options later in this review process?). The staff struggled with a heavy workload, were poorly-coordinated with one another and failed to keep us informed of progress, updates or even to provide basic medication which was desperately needed. This caused me frustration and the patient extreme anxiety. Most surprising was that when I ventured out to get food (after sitting in the dept for 5 hours) neither of the main eating areas could provide a single vegan option, and nor did any of the three caterers I approached even seem to understand what vegan food was. Veganism is popular and proven to be healthier than meat-based options, and far more ethical, and for a health institution to fail to offer anything is simply not good enough.

Response from Ian Mackenzie, Director of Information and Facilities, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust We are preparing to make a change

Dear Geoff Stanger

I'm sorry to read that you were felt that the experience your friend had in A&E was not as it should be. If you'd care to e-mail me details at ian.mackenzie@sash.nhs.uk I can ask someone to look into this.

I'm also sorry that you were unable to find any Vegan food in the hospital. The hospital restaurant, WH Smiths and Boots should all have been able to serve you a variety of vegan options.

It would be really helpful if you could let me know what you were unable to find that you wanted as that way we can help to ensure that we provide a range of food that suits all requirements.