"Greatly satisfied"

About: Royal Berkshire Hospital

My gratitude is boundless for both the treatment and care I received by all concerned at the RBH during my recent major operation for bowel cancer. All staff reflected an extremely timely and professional approach to the process which was managed from diagnose to discharge in just a few short weeks, an achievement I suggest that would be hard to better even in the private sector.

Each stage of the treatment was explained in sufficient detail that I was able to understand the associated benefits/risks although the risks were minimal thanks entirely due to the skills of my surgeon and the highly skilled team. These high standards continued throughout the 5 day Post Op care over seen by my surgeon who attended me every day often on more than one occasion.

Importantly my recovery period ran the gauntlet of a NHS weekend admission in addition to a junior doctors 1 day strike without any noticeable disruption to my care. Well done

In the interests of helpful feedback, I would suggest the small matter that any medicines needed are dispensed by the hospital for weekend discharges, I found difficulty in sourcing a 24hr chemist late Sunday afternoon even then it involved a 50 min wait, not ideal.

At such a life changing time it reassuring to know the often maligned NHS is hugely capable of exceeding expectations.

I will always remain extremely grateful to all concerned.

Sincere thanks,

Clive Meakin

Response from Royal Berkshire Hospital

Thank you for your review; it is great to hear such lovely feedback. The teams worked especially hard during the junior doctor strike day to make sure we maintained a seamless service, so it is heartening to hear that our planning and preparation paid off in your experience. Ensuring patients have a smooth discharge is essential, so the matron for the area will be sure to pass on your feedback regarding medicines to take home to both medical and nursing staff, to see how we can improve this service in the future.