"Unexplained cancellation"

About: Lincoln County Hospital

Arrived at clinic 8 today to be told my pre op appointment had been cancelled yesterday and I had a new one in 10 days. Clinic unable to give reason as appointments team don’t pass them this info. Quite distressed as I’d found it hard to cope wearing glasses instead of contact lenses for 4 weeks in preparation for today’s measurements. Spoke to a member of staff at PAL who was very considerate. They checked the system and said the reason for cancellation was recorded as ‘patient cancellation’. Also that there was no phone number for me, hence I hadn’t been called about the cancellation. Hard to believe these details are not routinely obtained from patient or GP. Appointments staff unavailable but PAL sent a request to call me tomorrow. Arrived home to a standard letter, not even saying ‘sorry we have to cancel…’ but ‘we are pleased to confirm your appointment on 11 March’.

This is the latest in a succession of organisational issues since my initial consultation last July. Planning to submit a full list when the process is finally finished.

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Anonymous,

I am sincerely sorry that you feel distressed as a result of a less than satisfactory experience with us and I thank you sincerely for posting your concerns in order for us to address.

Your personal details should have been taken when you first attended on your initial consultation in July. I cannot explain why this did not happen as I have no jurisdiction over the responsible team. But I do apologise on their behalf.

There are many reasons why we may have to cancel a patient, none I assure you are taken lightly.

Our aim is to ensure the best possible patient experience and with this in mind I ask that you contact me through the PALS team and I will endeavour to help were ever I can.

Sincere regards