"Poor communication"

About: Ayrshire Central Hospital / Geriatric Assessment Crosshouse Hospital / Respiratory medicine North Ayrshire Council

My 76 year old mother was discharged from Crosshouse after new year having been treated for pneumonia. She is severely underweight (bmi 13), was seen by dietician and subsequent care plan was set up for her return home, ie carers attended her home 3 times a day and marked off what she was eating. By the 6th of Feb, my mother was emaciated, we took her to crosshouse and she still had pneumonia! She was treated for that and discharged back to her home where she further deteriorated and has been admitted again as of yesterday, with a chest infection.

My gripe is that I find it unacceptable for this hospital to treat the lung complaint and then discharge a 75 year old, emaciated, immobile, extremely frail and vulnerable sick lady back to her home with stairs, only to be readmitted again....over and over. There is poor communication from staff at all levels.

I want to know why this is happening and doesn't the hospital have a duty of care to ensure that these vulnerable patients are safe to go home?

Response from Annie Weir, Senior, North Ayrshire Council

Dear Shnooks,

Thank you so much for taking the time to get in touch.

I am so sorry to hear about your mothers treatment and support.

We are very concerned to hear your story and would like to know more information, which is obviously inappropriate here.

Can I ask you contact me as soon as you can on either of my contacts below - so we can undertake a full investigation

Email: annieweir@north-ayrshire.gov.uk

Tel: 01294 31 7818

Once again - sorry to hear about your mothers treatment

Response from Kate MacDonald, Business Coordinator & Office Manager (interim), Nurse Directorate, NHS Ayrshire and Arran, NHS Ayrshire and Arran

Dear Shnooks

Following on from Annie's posting above, I too am sorry to hear of your mother's experience. We would be really keen to understand more in order to assist further.

If you feel able, can you please contact my colleague Lesley Arthur in our Customer Care Team on 01292 513003 or email Lesley.Arthur@aapct.scot.nhs.uk?

Many thanks and kind regards