"Excellent staff, haphazard systems"

About: Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

I recently had a full ankle fusion at Vic. The consultant was excellent, as was his assistant and the anaesthetist. I had a spinal block, so was fully awake, and the friendly banter in theatre was wonderfully relaxing.

Recovery staff were great, as were the ward nurses and plaster technicians.

Yet again, the systems did not work smoothly though. I had to ask for my regular meds, as the system had not updated ward records, and discharge papers took too long, waiting for signatures.

My physio visit took 2 minutes - as soon as they saw I already had a crutch, they assumed I would know how to use it, and rushed off.

In fact, the op meant that I then had to find out how to be non-weightbearing by myself.

Response from Andrew Heath, Lead in Patient Experience & Engagement, Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Nick

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent experience.

I am pleased that elements of your procedure went well and I will pass on your experience to the teams involved.

I am however sorry that we were not able to get it right in all aspects of your treatment.

If you would like your concerns to be fully explored please contact the Patient Relations team directly on 01253 955588 so that we can get further details about what happened and ensure that your concerns are fully investigated.

Thank you once more for taking the time to share your experience.