"In-patients left in bed with no treatment &..."

About: Northern General Hospital

My husband has been in the NGH for 8 days now. During that time he has had 2 Betablockers and no other treatment. He was diagnosed with a heart condition on admission & listed for an MRI scan & electro-physiology. 3 days later he went for an MRI scan to be told they couldn't do it because of the heart monitor they had inserted 2 weeks previously & which had been discussed with the consultant, who said there would be no problem.

2 days later I asked to see a doctor & this time saw someone who said the original diagnosis had been incorrect & that he didn't need the scans, only a pacemaker.

5 days later he is still sat on a bed waiting for a pacemaker. Each day the doctors say he is on the next day's list & of course he isn't.

He is now very stressed, with a rapid heart-beat & palpitation.

The ward is noisy, with nursed chatting during the night. He's had no proper sleep for 8 nights & we are still no further.

What on earth do we have to do to get proper treatment & release?

Response from Deborah Hopkinson, Patient Experience Co-ordinator, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

I am really sorry to hear about the difficulties that you and your husband have experienced. On behalf of the Trust I would like to offer you our apologies for such a poor experience which we clearly do not want for our patients.

I will escalate this matter to senior staff immediately so that they can contact you and discuss your concerns.

If you wish to raise this as a formal matter please could you contact our Patient Services team on telephone number 0114 271 2400 or by email pst@sth.nhs.uk and the team will be able to assist you.