"If you could go elsewhere, I would"

About: William Harvey Hospital

You can see why this place is in special measures.

Toilets don't work, patient services operate 5 minutes a day, reception staff are rude, there's the usual pre clinic checks of being told what's going to be done to you, rather than asked, I'm sure I've heard 'patient choice' somewhere. Outpatients consultations aren't done in private. Complaints procedures are useless, online forms ignored and PALS here as soft, fluffy and intangible as elsewhere. Clinics are booked, then rearranged, latest no less than 4 times, when I asked why, there were no clinics on the date I was booked!!! Outpatient letters don't have the phone number for the department, just the generic outpatients line. As to letters, if I DNA I get kicked out, if the Trust cancels an appointment, the letter should tell you why. My last, excellent, hospital did this, patients, the most important person in the deal surely, got copies of clinic letters, not here. Anti patient information culture, on the a little knowledge is a dangerous thing theme no doubt.

Response from Sally Smith, Chief Nurse and Director Of Quality, East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Melanie,

I am so sorry to hear of this catalogue of experiences. This does not sound the standard we expect. Please feel free to contact me on Sally.smith2@nhs.net and I will look into your concerns.

I am so sorry you had these poor experiences.

Best regards,