"Poor communication with relatives"

About: Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh at Little France / Trauma & orthopaedics

My elderly mother was admitted to Edinburgh Royal infirmary with a broken hip after falling outside the staff and care that she received was excellent.

However the communication between the trust and relatives was appalling. My mother was admitted to the Royal and even although she had been in another hospital within the trust that had relatives contact details we were not contacted. Family visited every day but this week when we arrived we could not locate her in the hospital and were told that she had been transferred to another hospital.

Our mother is over 90 and no one thought to call her family to tell them that she had been transferred. We understand that staff are busy but this lack of communication is atrocious

Response from Jeannette Morrison, Head of Patient Experience, NHS Lothian

Dear Petula,

How sorry I was to read of your mother's recent experiences whilst in the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh. I can only appreciate how upsetting this must have been for you and your family at an already worrying time.

I would be happy to look into this for you and wonder if you can please contact me at the Patient Experience Team on 0131 536 3370 or via email feedback@nhslothian.scot.nhs.uk

In the meantime, I have passed this onto the team at the Royal Infirmary and I hope you mother's well on the road to recovery.