"Maternity Physiotherapy"

About: NHS Lanarkshire

I'm in the early stages of my pregnancy and have begun to suffer with some lower back pain. Today I decided to have a look through my Antenatal Book/Record and I was so pleased to read about a text service I can use to access my local Maternity Physio Services. I found this to be really helpful and I was reassured that I may be able to chat to someone or get an appointment with someone who can treat me to relieve my discomfort.

I text the number giving all the relevant details and have received an acknowledgement noting that I was now on the waiting list. I'm a bit unclear however what happens next, for example, who long is the average waiting time and will someone call me or text me to give me an appointment?

Response from Claire Rae, Physiotherapy Lead, Wishaw General Hospital, NHS Lanarkshire We are preparing to make a change

Dear BabyBruce283,

Thanks for taking the time to post your comments regarding the maternity physiotherapy service.

I’m sorry for the lack of clarity around what happens following a text to our service. At the moment the only response would be via text to let you know that you have been added to our waiting list. All texts are reviewed and appointments are given based on priority, nature of symptoms and of course physiotherapist availability.

However I appreciate your comments and do think there may be ways in which we can improve the information given around this process. Therefore, we will look into this further - with the aim to improve the information we provide, particularly the information held within the Antenatal Record.

I think it would also be of benefit to include an estimated waiting time in the text that you receive to let you know that you have been placed on the waiting list.

I will keep you posted as to any changes we are able to make, however in the meantime I wish you well in your pregnancy.

Response from Claire Rae, Physiotherapy Lead, Wishaw General Hospital, NHS Lanarkshire We have made a change

Dear BabyBruce 283

I am happy to let you know that we have now made a change to the text response that patient recieves once they contact the physiotherapy service to include an estimated waiting time and the way in which the patient will be informed of their appointment whether it be by phone call or by letter. We are also reviewing the wording informing patients of the physiotherapy service that is currently within the antenatal record with plans to change the information.

I hope your pregnancy is progressing well.

Thank you again for your taking the time to highlight this issue

• BabyBruce283 thinks this response is helpful

Update posted by BabyBruce283 (the patient)

Hi Claire,

That's great news! Thanks very much for getting back in touch to tell me about the change you've made. It's so nice to know that you've taken on board my comments/suggestion and that there's such a positive outcome from this - hopefully this will helps other out when they are using the service too!

Very impressed!