"Charged 50% more than advised."

About: NHS Grampian / Grampian medical emergency department (GMED)

This is a very strange way of fielding complaints. A discrete phone call to an advisor does the trick in every other organisation, but if the NHS would prefer the first point of complaint to be public, well here goes.

My Wife has been in excruciating pain for the last 72 hours. I contacted GMed's Dental department and was told that no Dentist was able to see my Wife, but if I were to contact our local Dentist as soon as they opened, we would be seen as an "Emergency Treatment". I was reassured that it would cost no more than £50. We contacted the Dentist and were seen and promptly charged £75.

I'm not sure where we are with the Health Service: is it National or Commercial? Either way GMed advisors should not be giving out false information.

Response from Linda Oldroyd, Nurse Consultant Patient Safety and Experience, NHS Grampian

Dear t09

Many thanks for your feedback.

Patient Opinion is only one way of providing feedback and through this method you can remain anonymous if you so wish. The NHS does of course have a formal feedback system whereby complaints, compliments, comments and suggestions can be lodged. You are of course also welcome to contact a service directly with feedback of any sort. We aim to manage all feedback from any source in as open and honest way as possible, always identifying learning where there may be any. This is in keeping with our aim to be caring, listening and improving organisation.

I am very sorry that you were given the wrong information about charges for emergency dental care.

I will share your feedback with the service concerned and invite them to provide a response to your over-charging concern.