"Useless so far"

About: Lincoln County Hospital

I am currently 14 weeks pregnant and so far Lincoln hospital has messed up pretty much everything they've had to do.

Initiall they lost my referral from my GP so my first scan wasn't booked. My midwife chased this up at 10 weeks and was told they would sort it as a priority as I was nearing the scan dates. By the end of that week I still hadn't got a letter so I rang to check the time and date of the scan. I was told I wasn't even on the system and needed to get my GP to refer me (again). The GP sent the referral first thing on Monday and by Tuesday evening I still hadn't heard (they said they would ring). I was told I still wasn't on the system. It took a further 3 days and several phone calls to finally even get the scan booked.

The scan went fine, although the waiting area is disgusting and doesn't seem clean at all. The midwives and nurses were all lovely though. After the scan we finally got sent through to the midwife who took some blood to check for a genetic condition my husband is a carrier of. They called the doctor to consult on the best course of action, which they did. The doctor then insisted we returned in 2 weeks for the blood test results, even though the midwife asked if it would be best for us if we waited until the 20 week scan to save us a trip. We took the paperwork up to the desk and were booked in for a scan a consultation 2 weeks later.

The following day I received a phone call asking me to come back into the hospital to give more blood as the original sample had been out in the wrong pot (on the advice of the doctor). I explained to the staff why I was back and that I didn't mind coming back for the results as it meant I got an extra scan to see my baby. They agreed it was worth it.

Yesterday we returned to the hospital for the results. We got there 10 minutes early and with the required full bladder for the scan. After 40 rather uncomfortable minutes waiting (while watching other couples called ahead of us) we were taken aside by the midwife who told us there wasn't any reason for having a scan (which was really disappointing) and that there was't anything in my notes to say why we were there at all. We explained about the situation and so they checked online but the blood results were still at the lab. We were told there wasn't much they could do (although they apologised for the scan bring incorrectly booked and the results of being ready). Seemingly the doctor who insisted on us returning wasn't even there. I'm not sure why we couldn't have been called to say not to come in as my husband had a lot of trouble getting time off in the middle of the day for the appointment. I also don't know why it took 40 minutes for anyone to realise they didn't know why we were there.

I really don't want to have my baby at Lincoln since they've made such a mess of the relatively simple care so far. The nurses and midwives have been lovely throughout but it hasn't made it any less stressful for first time parents like ourse

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Anonymous,

I was extremely sorry to read about your experience of our ante natal service so far. I want to reassure you that this certainly isn’t what we would wish for our women and their families, and definitely not what I would expect us to deliver.

I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for our poor communication with you. Having a baby is a very exciting time and I am very sorry that we haven’t managed to give you the experience you deserve. I am pleased to read that the midwives have been supportive throughout and hope that we are able to improve on your experience moving forward.

Elizabeth Grooby