"Poor communication of results"

About: Ayr Hospital / Respiratory Medicine

My father had a follow up CT chest in December 2015 due to lung nodules. He was seen by a locum physician,in Ayr Hospital. He has as yet not received results of this scan, which has been extremely distressing for him.

On speaking to a respiratory secretary at Ayr Hospital I was advised that although his results were available, his GP would receive no communication until the locum physician was able to dictate a letter during his next session within Ayrshire and Arran and she was unsure when that would be.

I am concerned at this current practice as there is potential for diagnosis to be delayed due to uncertainty and delay of dictation of a clinical letter.

Could you advise me if this is "normal" practice? What if this locum doesn't do another shift within A&A? Would this mean that patients notes are left without follow up?

As we are still in the dark about his results, I would ask that this matter is dealt with quickly to reduce stress to my father.

Response from Kate MacDonald, Business Coordinator & Office Manager (interim), Nurse Directorate, NHS Ayrshire and Arran, NHS Ayrshire and Arran

Dear Holly Golightly

Thank you for getting in touch with us through Patient Opinion.

In order for us to assist you further, with regards to your father's results, can I please ask that you contact my colleague Lesley Arthur in the Customer Care Team on 01292 513003 or you can email Lesley on Lesley.Arthur@aapct.scot.nhs.uk.