"Made to feel as though we were wasting time"

About: Pilgrim Hospital / Out of hours service

(as a parent/guardian),

I called 111 as my daughter had been complaining of headache and had a high temp. We were sent to pilgrim out of hours for an appointment with a nurse and honestly couldn't have been more dissapointed with the care she received. The nurse we saw made no attempt to establish a relationship with my daughter or us her parents. She had her back to us at the computer while she spoke and did not make us feel at ease.

Being a parent with a child who has a temp of 40. 2 causes a lot of anxiety. After very little examination we were sent home, feeling just as worried as before. The next day our daughter was prescribed antibiotics for an infection.

We understand how busy all the staff are, and I have had many many positive experiences of NHS care but this really left us feeling sad. Communication skills are so very important in nursing and can really make the difference. I knew our little girl wasn't well and that there was more to it, yet we were made to feel as though we were wasting time. Sorry to have to leave this review but I felt the need to on this occasion.

Response from Steve Knight, Communications Officer, Lincolnshire Community Health Services NHS Trust

Thank you for raising your concern regarding the poor care received by you and your daughter in OOHs. I would like to assure you that LCHS take all concerns seriously.

The Matron for OOHs will speak to the staff at Boston OOHs base and re-stress the importance of communication and especially listening to children and parents to them all.

I hope you daughter is now well and apologise that the level of care you received on this occasion fell below the level we would expect to deliver.