"Good care, although poor communication"

About: Lincoln County Hospital / Respiratory medicine

I was admitted from I. C. U after having asthma attack and chest infection.

I found the nursing staff to be very caring and understanding of my needs. I can only praise the staff for my care. However, when due to be discharged things were not logged correctly and the after care I needed to enable my safe return home had not been set up correctly. I spoke with a social worker and the O. T and staff nurse of the ward to set up what care I needed for home help and was given a discharge date. I was discharged to my G. P. On returning home I learn there is no care arranged and a social worker visited me because they had been told by the ward that I self discharged.

I did not discharge myself. I was discharged with both medication, equipment and discharge notes.

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Babybart,

Thank you for taking the time to post this story.

I am pleased we were able to care for you in a way that met your needs, but equally disappointed that your discharge did not go smoothly.

I would like to be able to investigate further, so we can ensure a similar thing does not happen in the future, but to do so would need some details from you.

It would be really useful if you could contact our PALS team on (01522) 707071, or via e-mail to pals@ulh.nhs.uk, and give your name, date of birth and NHS number (if you have it). We can then investigate what appears to have gone wrong on this occasion.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Sharon Kidd,