"Dismissive and uninterested nurse"

About: Mount Vernon Hospital

I attended the minor injuries unit with my five year old child who had been limping for a day. As a mum of three, I have only attended the unit once before with an older child so I am not the sort of mum who is forever rushing to the hospital for every little problem. The receptionist was very pleasant and the wait time was very quick which was also good. Unfortunately the nurse who saw us was unfriendly, dismissive, uninterested and totally lacking in communication skills especially towards children. The nurse did not say hello, introduce them-self or attempt to make my child feel at ease, in actual fact they appeared irritated by him.

The nurse's assessment of him was as short as their manner and the nurse seemed utterly bored with their job. As someone who works in the NHS directly with patients, I would be ashamed if I behaved this way or saw any of my colleagues behave in this way. What a bad advert for the NHS and your unit.

Response from Mount Vernon Hospital

As a unit we pride ourselves on the work that we do and I am saddened to hear that on your visit we failed to match achieve our best.

I take these comments seriously and have spoken to the Nurse concerned. She is sorry that that is how she came across as it was not her intention to appear dismissive or uninterested. She apologises to you and your son.

I hope that he has made a good recovery and should you require our services in the future we would be glad to oblige.

Sue Birch, Manager MIU