"Disabled parking spaces"

About: Eyemouth Day Hospital The Knoll Hospital

I regularly attend Eyemouth health center and the Knoll hospital in Duns, I am a permanent wheelchair user since my accident in 2010 and I feel I need to bring this issue to your attention.

The disabled parking at Duns is sited on a step incline which is ok if you have slight mobility problems, or until someone like myself trys to use it firstly building up my chair at the door is made more difficult, due to the slop once thats done getting in to the chair has its own issues, but the biggest problem in getting back in to the car by trying to hold my chair in place till I transfer in to my car.

I would love the planners of the parking space try this manoeuvre to even getting to the car never mind transfer in to it, this can easily be rectified by swapping the spaces for the staff as theirs are on the flat, and the staff using the disabled spaces as it seems a bit of a luxury for the staff which is not required, and there is the same issues at Eyemouth spaces.

Thanks

Response from Susan Cowe, NHS Borders We are preparing to make a change

Dear pARKING,

I am sorry to read about the difficulties you have described with the disabled parking spaces at the Knoll Hospital, Duns and at Eyemouth.

In light of your experience, our Head of Estates & Facilities will review the disabled spaces at the Knoll Hospital to see if they can be moved to a better location.

At Eyemouth, the land which belongs to NHS Borders is all on a slope and at the present time there are no options to move the disabled spaces elsewhere.