"Both sides of the trust"

About: Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust / Adult community mental health

(as a service user),

I am both working for & am receiving treatment from the trust. I suffer from anxiety & depression. This started over 10 years ago, at first I was just seeing my GP who first prescribed Prozac. This medication was not the right one for me & I slowly got worse eventually getting bad suicidal & murderous thoughts. This was the first time I had contact with the trust.

I was referred & seen within 90 minutes. The consultant I saw was very helpful, he listened to me for a total of nearly 4 hours. He changed my medication & arranged to see other members of the team. During this initial time one of the services I had contact with was the employment support team, where I got a place on their gardening group. Over time I found this very helpful, & eventually got a job working for the trust as a nursing assistant.

Over the next few years I continued to work but found it very stressful at times but did not have the confidence to open up to anyone. This resulted in a relapse. At this point I was refered to the Occupational Health service. With the help of this service & the foresight of one of the directors of the trust, I was offered another job within the trust.

Also during this relapse I am also grateful to my case support worker who through our weekly & 2 weekly meetings has helped me view life in a more positive light, teaching me coping strategies.

Response from Karen Howard-Grenville, PALS, Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for your comments about the service. I’m pleased to see that you were seen quickly by services and that meetings with your care co-ordinator and the employment service were so productive.

I hope your recovery continues to go well.