"Excellent Care"

About: Royal Hallamshire Hospital

I was diagnosed with Myeloma in January 2015 and following my initial treatment at Doncaster hospital, was offered Stem Cell Therapy at the Hallamshire.

I have to say that everyone at the hospital has been very considerate and professional, and I have received first class care throughout.

Following my initial meeting with the Professor and their staff, my treatment was fully explained, and carried out with dignity, compassion and a great deal of care.

My initial treatment involved attending as a day care patient, and as

I live 20 miles from the hospital, was fortunate enough to get the offer of an NHS flat which is 2 minutes from the Hallamshire.

The Stem Cell Treatment is quite grueling, and involves a 2 week stay in the isolation wards, where I received the very best care it is possible to imagine.

From everyone involved in my treatment, from the cleaners upward, I was made to feel very special, even though quite obviously, all the staff are treating scores of similar patients at the same time.

Whilst I would not single out any members of staff for praise, I have to thank the nursing staff in particular, as they are the ones most involved when I was at my lowest point and feeling very weak. They helped me through the treatment with a combination of kindness and good humor.

So, in conclusion, a big thank you to all concerned with my treatment at the Royal Hallamshire Hospital, apart from giving me a chance of a longer life, you have done it with such a professional, caring and compassionate attitude, that is quite inspiring.

Response from Deborah Hopkinson, Patient Experience Co-ordinator, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for taking the time to provide your insight and kind words about the care that has been provided to you.

I will ensure that the staff concerned are made available of your comments as such compliments mean so much to our staff.

Best wishes