"Treatment in A&E on 2 different occasions"

About: Royal Sussex County Hospital

I moved to Brighton temporarily about 2 weeks ago and unfortunately, brought a knee injury with me.

Having been given the brush-off from the walk-in centre ("You realise we don't have an x-ray facility?"),

I took my chances at A&E.

I was well-treated during a busy afternoon, had my x-ray and a satisfying prognosis.

At 2am on an early Saturday morning, my finger was trapped in a taxi door.

I went via another taxi to A&E.

I have to say that the level of treatment and concern for my relatively innocuous-looking injury (compared to the others in A&E) was a pleasant surprise.

I was treated by the duty doctor, another senior doctor and a very caring A&E nurse.

The service was exemplary and I cannot fault the care given.

My only gripe was the lack of urgency displayed at the X-ray unit in the wee small hours when I was the only.one waiting.

My business head tells me, having worked in a supply and demand scenario where the demand is unpredictable, is to clear any waiting patient to enable one to be ready for a change in demand

Response from Royal Sussex County Hospital

Dear Vincent

Thank you so much for taking the time to feedback about your experience in A&E. I am so sorry that you have had to use our A&E department twice recently! I am delighted to hear that it was a positive experience and I have passed this onto the teams involved in your care and I know that they will really appreciate your kind words.

I have also let Xray know about your experience of waiting at night.

I hope that you are recovering well.

Best wishes