"Lost Referral"

About: East Surrey Hospital / Respiratory medicine

Cardiologist referred me to respiratory consultant in December ( I received a copy of the referral letter). Waited 6 weeks; no sign of an appointment letter prompted me to call outpatients booking office. They said there was no record of my referral on the system. After several fruitless telephone calls and only following assistance from PALS, it transpired that the referral was 'lost' between the cardiology and respiratory depts. Outpatient booking office says that because the respiratory dept did not receive the referral (due entirely to your hospitals mal-administration) my 18 week RTT pathway had not started, despite my 6 week wait. Average wait for outpatient respiratory appointment is, according to your website, 96 days. In my case - extended by 6 weeks!

My health is deteriorating but no-one accepts any responsibility or is accountable. Very disappointing experience; and still no appointment letter received!

Response from Cathy White, Patient Experience Lead, Patient Experience Team, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear Very dismayed,

I hope steps have been taken today to remedy this situation, in response to an update you made to this post. Do please accept our apologies, I hope the issue will be resolved by my colleague to your satisfaction.

Kind regards,