"Please look again at the systems between GP, 111 and A&E"

About: Care UK Pilgrim Hospital / Accident and emergency

Despite going thru proper channels, i.e. 111 (no chance of getting GP appointment on a Friday, and I was experiencing dizziness and passing blood from my rear end), when I saw chap in hospital he was very terse with me saying that I should be at my doctors. He just took my blood pressure and temperature and told me to see my doctor.

After my protestations that I had little or no hope of getting in to see him before the weekend, he did, and I say this to his credit, make an appointment with me for that very afternoon (I guess it carries more weight at my surgery when a hospital calls).

I must admit to being made to feel like I was wasting their time, not too nice with my medical history and being in my 70s. I do not wish to make a fuss about this, as I know NHS staff are so hard pressed and I am sure the response I got was (and I know from previous experience) not typical.

What I would ask is a re-look at the whole 111 vs A&E vs GP situation. I feel that it is not working. The chap in A&E said "that lot (111) would send you here if you cut your finger", trouble is, I think he's correct and it must be very frustrating when the hospital staff are working so hard to give us the normally excellent service we are blessed to have.

I would like to add that I would NOT have made the adverse comments I have, had I not just been asked to and also to take this opportunity to thank those members of hospital staff (the vast majority) who dedicate themselves to our care.

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear AsEmail,

I am sorry to hear of your experience of being passed to A+E and then your GP. The 111 system will always err on the side of caution if there is any concern over the potential welfare of a caller. If we identify on initial presentation in the A+E, any individual who may be seen by a GP we make every effort to ensure that they are supported in this way. We do have an agreement in place with our local GP practices to support this. I appreciate that this can be frustrating at times. However it has occurred as a response to the types of presentations that members of the public are attending the A+E with.

I will pass on to the A+E team your comments and identify which member saw you and referred you onwards. Whilst I am sure it would not have been their intention to come across as terse I would, with your permission, like to make them aware of your experience.

I hope that you are feeling better following your recent illness and are now recovering. If there is anything further I can help you with please do not hesitate to contact me to discuss.

Yours sincerely