"New appointment system makes no sense"

About: Crosshouse Hospital / Ophthalmology

I have been going to the Ayr Ophthalmology clinic for a number of years and this has been absolutely fine. The appointment rebooking worked well and the care and treatment I received was great.

In the past 18 months the appointment booking procedure, based at Crosshouse Hospital, has changed. To me it does not make sense. Previously, if the consultant said I needed to see him again in 3 months I would return to the reception desk and make a further appointment 3 months ahead.

Now, I when I go to the reception desk and tell them I need another appointment I’m told ‘we’ll send you a letter’. Last October was no exception, I was asked by the consultant see him again in 3 months – so I’ve been waiting for a date and since I’ve not had a letter I called the hospital. I was told they could give me an appointment in March – more than the 3 months later.

This new system means you do not get seen within the time the consultant has asked, postage costs are incurred where there were none, a receptionist is employed but the value of the service they now provide is diminished and like me, other patients may well be chasing their appointments.

Response from Kate MacDonald, Business Coordinator & Office Manager (interim), Nurse Directorate, NHS Ayrshire and Arran, NHS Ayrshire and Arran

Dear Chat214

I was sorry to read about the time you have had to wait for an appointment to see your consultant again.

I note you now have an appointment, but if you would like to speak to someone about your experience, can I ask that you contact my colleague Lesley Arthur, in our Customer Care Team on 01292 513003 or you can email Lesley on Lesley.Arthur@aapct.scot.nhs.uk.