"Great midwifes, terrible doctors"

About: Queen's Hospital, Burton Upon Trent

I was admitted 5 days before my due date with pre-eclampsia. The antenatal unit was clean, and the midwifes were absolutely lovely. However after I was admitted the hospital became extremely busy and I felt forgotten. All of the doctors were locums and I never saw the same one twice. Had it been a straightforward birth I think it would have been fine, but as it was, after my waters broke i was left for 72 hours before a midwife said we needed to insist I was to go for a C-section.

I had been for several appointments at Burton hospital prior to this to discuss an existing condition I have, and it was decided that I was to be given 10 times the normal amount whilst in labour and after I had the baby. However after my C-section, despite me insisting this to be the case, they could not find the notes, and so was only given a single dose for the next 2 days until they found the notes, which led to me developing a serious infection.

I was also given a telling off in the middle of the night by a night matron for falling asleep whilst breast feeding, which as an ill, new mother with no support and trying their best, was devastating. I discharged myself after being in hospital for 2 weeks, and had to carry on injecting myself at home for another week.

August 2010

Response from Queen's Hospital, Burton Upon Trent

Dear Reviewer

Congratulations on the birth of your new baby. We would like the opportunity to assist you with your concerns and discuss a way forward. Please contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) directly on 01283 593110, our service is available Monday to Friday 09:00 – 16:30 hrs. Alternatively email pals @burtonft.nhs.uk.

PALS team.