"Turned down for treatment"

Members of Benenden for several years my husband was encouraged to self-fund (as a private patient) a hip-replacement operation. The Benenden consultant did not want to treat him as his Parkinson's Disease 'may bring complications.' Fair enough perhaps, the surgeon was out of his depth, although we had no difficulty finding another surgical consultant who would and did operate with confidence. But there was no sign of any duty of care from Benenden, no advice or forward referral, just go back to your GP and ask for NHS treatment - we had come off that list when offered Benenden Hospital. We had understood Benenden Hospital to also be NHS but this option was not offered because 'we are very far away from any back-up emergency services out here.' Not sure I'd use such a hospital for anything. What is unacceptable is the lack of care and respect given my husband. He left not knowing what to do with the pain he was in.There was no attempt to help him further, not so much as a phone call.. I find Benenden's literature obscure(deliberately?) and it remains unclear what they will/won't do. I believe its called 'cherry picking' .

Response from Benenden Hospital

We are very sorry to hear about your experience when you attended Benenden Hospital for a surgical consultation. We endeavour to ensure that all of our patients receive the upmost care and we are very sorry that your experience did not reflect the standards which we strive to achieve. We would appreciate it if you would contact the Patient Experience Team on Extension number 7428 in order that your case can be investigated fully.